Many taxpayers need back or prior years tax returns. There is a very easy and simple way to get that information.

Top Tips on How to get Back or Prior years Tax Returns:

Tax Return Requests

If you need an actual copy of a previously filed and processed tax return, it will cost $57 for each tax year you order. IRS always stick it to us.

Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the IRS address listed on the form for your area. Remember send it only to the address found on the form, it can change from year to year.

Copies are generally available for the current year and past six years. If you need to go back further you are usually out of luck.

You can get copies of your back or prior years federal tax return via the web, phone or by mail. Call 1-800-829-1040.

A Tax Transcript:

Tax Transcripts are free and are available for the current and past three tax years.
A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules.

Important Note:

It does not reflect any changes made after the return was filed.
A tax account transcript shows any later adjustments either you or the IRS made after you filed your tax return. This transcript shows basic data including marital status, type of return filed, adjusted gross income and taxable income.

To request either type of transcript online, go to and use the online tool called Order A Transcript. To order a tax transcript by phone, call 800-908-9946 and follow the prompts in the recorded message.

To request a 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ tax return transcript through the mail, complete IRS Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript.
Businesses, partnerships and individuals who need transcript information from other forms or need a tax account transcript must use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return.

If you order online or by phone, you should receive your tax return transcript within five to 10 days from the time the IRS receives your request. Allow 30 calendar days for delivery of a tax account transcript if you order by mail.

Forms 4506, 4506-T and 4506T-EZ are available at or by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).